Wednesday, November 21, 2012

In memory of my friend and mentor Dr. Meseret Chekol

I am deeply saddened by the death of Dr. Meseret Chekol Reta who was a friend & mentor to me since we came to know each other closely some eight years ago.  Dr. Meseret was an Assistant Professor of Journalism and Communications at the University of Wisconsin - River Falls.  Dr. Meseret was a dedicated professional in his field, was very kind to me and always was so helpful to everyone around him as well as to the Ethiopian Community at large.  He will be missed by family members, close friends, relatives as well as colleagues and acquaintances who have come to interact with this distinguished scholar, chewa (refined) Ethiopian gentleman. 

Personally, my life has been enriched by several telephone conversations I had with him, often for hours about many different issues.  I came to know Meseret (younger, then) from the days we were both students at Addis Ababa University in the late 70s and early 80s.  I knew him through his reputation as a top student at the Institute of Language Studies.  I was just a freshman or sophomore, and he did not know me at all back then.  I have had admiration for his works since that time. 

In the early 1980s, after earning B.A, in English with the highest distinction from the Addis Ababa University's Institute of Language Studies, he joined Voice of Ethiopia where he was a broadcaster.  I remember the program he used to produce at VoE (former Bisrate Wengel Radio) called 'Introducing Ethiopia'.  Expatriates living or working in Ethiopia were the main target audiences for the VoE, and one can say Meseret was the best cultural attache or ambassador introducing Ethiopian culture & way of life.  When I came to know Dr. Meseret closely here in the U.S., I told him that I was one of his adoring fans of his works and reminded him that I had even called his office once (back home) and talked with him to inquire about what is known as 'Ethiopian Melody'.  I had to find that information for an American musician that I was introduced to, who was on tour in Africa and who I had promised to help.  I remember, Meseret explaining to me the concept with very meticulous details and referring me to some sources written on the concept.  Not long after that, I left Ethiopia for good and couple of years later, so did Meseret.  He came to the United States in 1990 and pursued his graduate studies at the University of Minnesota where he earned his Ph.D. in mass communication as well as a second Master’s Degree (MS) in political science.
Dr. Meseret was popular for his critical thinking, educational commentaries and analysis of Ethiopian politics and the media. He appeared on most Ethiopian and international media outlets. He has written various academic papers on press freedom in Ethiopia including the soon-to be-published book entitled 'The Quest for Press Freedom: One Hundred Years of History of the Media in Ethiopia.'

The late Dr. Meseret was also instrumental in establishing the Ethiopian Biographical Resource Center (EBRC) and served the center as its president since October 2007.  I had the honor of working with him in the founding of the Center. Under Meseret's leadership, the center has launched projects to record biographical interviews of prominent Ethiopians who 
faithfully have served their country.

Dr. Meseret was recently diagnosed with liver cancer. This life-threatening illness required aggressive treatment, and his family was seeking help to save his life.  ...


Dr. Meseret died in Minnesota on Saturday November 17, 2012. He is survived by his daughter and his wife. The funeral service for Dr. Meseret was held on Saturday, November 24th in Minneapolis/MN. A fund in his memory has been established and people who would like to send contributions in his memory can send me message(s) to obtain the account number or other details.

Voice of America - Amharic language broadcast featured Dr. Meseret's life & works in five short series program. Alula Kebede of VOA Amharic program did excellent job interviewing veteran Ethiopian journalist Ato Mulugeta Lule & Ato Maeregu Bezabih, Editor of national newspapers and Professor who taught Meseret Journalism courses at AAU (BTW, I also took introductory journalism course taught by Ato Maeregu. One of my favorite instructors). Alula's program also includes interview with one of the founding member of Ethiopian Biographical Resources Center alongside Dr. Meseret about how EBRC came about and the role of Meseret in laying out its foundation as well as his long-standing commitment to its mission. There is also an interview with visually impaired current broadcaster in Ethiopia who viewed Dr. Meseret as a role model and followed his footsteps in broadcast journalism. The best part is the interview with his wife & daughter. Both gave a very moving and eloquent portrayal of Dr. Meseret as a father & husband. His daughter's masterful command of words in Amharic (even though she was born & raised in the US) showed that she inherited her father's natural ability and the good job both her father & mother did raising her. Click here to listen to the program.