Sunday, August 5, 2012

Poem inspired by Olympic Marathon victory of Tiki Gelana

Blogger's Note: This is my first attempt to write poetry in English. It was inspired by good feeling that stayed with me after waking up to live broadcast of the Women Marathon in London Olympics and seeing Tiki Gelana of Ethiopia winning the race. I don't know much about the rules of writing poems in English. This is just raw feeling flowing down. 


I started my Sunday bright
thanks to this shining light 
of Ethiopia called Tiki Gelana
I now have a heart smiling & dancing to its inner chorus
GURO WESHEBAYE 
while taking care of the usual Sunday chores
in a new homeland.
A feeling which I hope can stay
with me for the rest of the day,
and for days & weeks ahead.

It is good to be born Ethiopian,
among these sisters & brothers
whose gifts keeps on giving
especially to those of us
who woke-up on Sunday morning
to a sky in a far land
and toll hard
to make a living.
To all Olympic marathon champions
since the great Abebe Bikila,
I want to say on behalf of fellow compatriots
living in the diaspora
thank you for giving us those Sundays
and make at least some of our days
filled with pride to our Ethiopianness.

August 5, 2012 

Maryland (HAGERE MARYAM)