Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Menelik’s proclamation of September 1895 summoning troops to repel Italian invaders.

Emperor Menelik’s Proclamation for Adwa campaign
Editor’s Note:
In 1896, the recently united Kingdom of Italy joined other European nations seeking to establish colonies abroad in the so-called “scramble for Africa.” The Italians’ primary target on the continent was bounteous Ethiopia, a prized land unclaimed by other colonial powers and adjacent to the Italian colony of Eritrea. Italian leaders dreamed of a second Roman Empire stretching from the Alps to the Equator, and it was assumed that a show of military might would quickly bring "barbarian" lands and riches into an Africa Orientale Italiana. The Italian dream turned into a night-mare, however, in the epic Battle of Adwa that pitted the largest European army ever assembled in Africa up until that time against a mighty array of Ethiopian warriors led by Emperor Menelik. The Italians were soundly defeated by the forces of Greater Ethiopia in perhaps the greatest victory of an African over a European force since the time of Hannibal. The battle put Ethiopia on the map of the modern world and made that country a beacon of hope for oppressed people everywhere.  T. Vestal



At this time an enemy has crossed our God-given seashore boundaries with the aim of destroying our country and alter-ing our religion. So far, I had been somewhat lax in my response to such incursions because of the plague that has consumed animals and the famine that has exhausted our people. The enemy has taken advantage of our inactivity and has penetrating like a mole deeper & deeper inside our land.
But now, with God as my shield, I shall not surrender my land to the enemy. O people of my land, I do not think that I have been unjust to you heretofore, and neither have you failed me. Now I ask all of you who are able-bodied to help me with your strength.
If you are physically infirm, give your moral support for the sake of your children, your wife, and your faith. But if you cheat and stay behind when you could have volunteered in this campaign, be forewarned that you have chosen to pick a quarrel with me, in which case I will come back to settle the quarrel. I swear in the name of the Virgin Mary that I shall entertain no intercession on this matter. As my campaign commences in October, I shall expect to meet organized volunteers from Showa by the middle of October in Wara Ilu.
September 1895.
Unofficial translation by Paulos Milkias & Getachew Metaferia from The Battle of Adwa: Reflections on Ethiopia's Historic Victory Against European Colonialism. Algora Books, 2005